Just 12 months after launch, the Pembrokeshire Cheese Company has become the number 1 selling Welsh Origin cheese brand, according to data* from retail industry experts, TNS.
The news comes in the same week as Morrisons began stocking the award-winning cheese, owned by dairy-farmer co-operative First Milk, in its English stores, demonstrating the growing demand for products with true provenance.
Since its high-profile launch at the 2008 Royal Welsh Show, the Pembrokeshire Cheese Company has played a key role in driving the growth of Welsh Origin cheddar.
The latest statistics show that Welsh Origin cheddar sales have grown 60%** in the last 12 months, driven by brands such as the Pembrokeshire Cheese Company, showing that Welsh consumers will buy Welsh produce when these products deliver both quality and value.
The appeal of Welsh cheese has also extended across Britain. The number of households buying Welsh Origin cheddar has increased by three million** in the past year and the number of times it is purchased has also risen.
Richard Hollingdale, First Milk's sales and marketing director, said: "Consumers want to understand more about the origins of the brands they are purchasing. We are finding it a competitive advantage that we can guarantee that 100% of the milk that goes into making our Pembrokeshire Cheese Company range comes from Welsh dairy farms".
The Pembrokeshire Cheese Company brand is available in Tesco, ASDA, Somerfield and Spar stores throughout Wales, as well as Morrisons stores throughout England and Wales.
For more information please contact:
Jill Coyle, Communications Manager, First Milk - 0141 847 6884 / 07825 625205
- Welsh Origin Brands is defined as brands that communicate Welsh Cheddar on the packaging.
- * TNS: Wales, Welsh Origin Pre-Pack Brands: Value (4 weeks w/e 14 June 2009).
- ** TNS: Wales: Welsh Origin Cheddar: Volume (52 weeks, w/e 14 June 2009).
The Pembrokeshire Cheese Company
- The Pembrokeshire Cheese Company is wholly owned by the First Milk Cheese Company, a division of First Milk.
- First Milk is the largest farmer-owned dairy business in the UK. Its members' farms stretch from West Wales to East Anglia and from Central Scotland to the South of England.
- The company handles approximately 1.8 billion litres of milk per annum from its 2,800 dairy farmer members and suppliers.