Local Success For Lake District Cheese Company
The new Lake District Cheese being produced at The Lake District Creamery in Aspatria is proving a roaring success with Cumbrians.
Launched just eight weeks ago, more than 400 outlets around the county are already stocking the range of cheeses, which is made using only local milk and carry the images of local farmers on the packaging.
Jeff Halliwell, Managing Director of The Lake District Cheese Company, is delighted with the success to date: "We have had an amazing response from Cumbrian people to our cheese. They love the taste of the cheeses and are proud to support local farmers and their own Lake District brand.
"The success of our launch has led to major retailers coming to us asking to stock The Lake District Cheese Company cheeses. Over the coming months, we will work with selected multiple retailers in the north to ensure we have the right approach as well as continuing to build up the local retailers around the county."
Stockists of the Lake District cheeses range from individual specialist cheese retailers through to wholesalers who are supplying larger businesses around Cumbria as well as key visitor locations including The Rheged Centre and CenterParcs.
Jules Natlacen of Churchmouse Cheeses in Kirkby Lonsdale - 2007 winners of the UK's Best Independent Cheese Shop in Britain - said customer feedback on the cheeses has been impressive.
"The Lake District Cheese tastes fantastic and the cheese truckles, which are beautifully packaged, are selling really well. Given the majority of our business comes from local residents, it proves that local provenance is really important to consumers," she added.
Award-winning local retailer Cranstons is also reporting strong sales in its two Cumbrian foodhalls. Deli manager Caroline Dinham said: "The connection with local farmers on the packaging is a strong selling point for consumers and where shoppers have sampled in-store, then they have all made purchases across the entire Lake District Cheese Company range."
The Lake District Creamery has been making quality cheese for more than 100 years, yet despite its location in the heart of what is arguably Britain's finest milk producing region, this is the first cheese produced at the creamery that promotes the heritage and qualities of Cumbria and the Lake District.
Each of the three Cumbrian cheeses is skilfully crafted at The Lake District Creamery at Aspatria:-
· Mature Cumbrian Cheddar - a classic, firm textured mature Cheddar, hand selected at peak maturity for its robust, savoury flavour.
· Extra Mature Cumbrian Cheddar – this strong, tangy extra Mature Cheddar is matured for a minimum of 14 months and hand selected for its deliciously rich depth of flavour.
· The Cumbrian Smokey – a smooth textured Cheddar, hand selected and smoked over chipped oak to give it a deliciously 'smokey' flavour.
More information about The Lake District Cheese Company can be found at the website: www.lakedistrictcheesecompany.co.uk
· The Lake District Cheese Company is wholly owned by The First Milk Cheese Company, a division of First Milk.
· First Milk is the largest dairy farmer co-operative in the UK. Its members' farms stretch from Central Scotland to the South of England and from West Wales to East Anglia.
· The company handles approximately two billion litres of milk per annum from its 2,600 dairy farmer members. There are 250 members in Cumbria.
For more information, please contact:-
Jill Coyle on 0141 847 6884 or 07825 625205